Thursday, November 24, 2011

Gobble Gobble

I used to decorate for ALL the holidays, but then the kids all left and decorating became an afterthought. . . meaning I thought of it AFTER the holiday was over.
None of the kids were coming home for Thanksgiving *sniff sniff* so I figured I needed the décor more than ever.. . .
100_6642100_6726
100_6644
We even got gobbled (which was nice) . . .
100_6727
We had decided that we were going to sorta skip the traditional Thanksgiving and have yummy food that we love more and isn’t as much work.
But less two days beforehand, because I am a girl and it makes it okay, I changed my mind.  How could it be thanksgiving without the turkey and trimmings plus NO family.  That is taking EVERYTHING good away. 
So we ran to the story and bought a FROZEN turkey.  We figured if it didn’t thaw in time then we could go buy a fresh (more expensive) one.
100_6736
I was planning on making a pie, except I didn’t have a recipe which was stressing me out.  A GREAT friend who knew this showed up on my doorstep with a pie!
100_6738
Turkey day came and Paul decided he would get a jump on things and put up our Christmas lights!
100_6739
100_6740
I was missing a couple of items so I ran to the store expecting a crowd.  Boy, was I wrong. . .
100_6741100_6744
We prepared our feast. . .
100_6746
100_6747100_6753
And filled our tummies!
We knew of someone who had nothing for the holiday so we packed up a big meal and delivered it.
100_6756
From there, we had decided to go the movies, but we were running early.  So we stopped by the store to wander around.  The shelves were being stocked for the Black Friday sales and the aisles were more crowded.
After the movie we came home to eat dessert (we finally had room!)
100_6759
We were so grateful that although our kids decided not to come home, they got together and enjoyed a great meal together. 
What a difference a year makes. . . the previous year, we had them all and the house was filled with noise and laughter.  While we missed that, we enjoyed our quiet time together.  We are so blessed with so many things.  Whether our children gather with us or not, it does not diminish our gratitude. 

No comments: