I am so grateful for all the opportunities I have had due to tennis. It is a great physical outlet for me. Sometimes I like the way I play and other times I have been frustrated. But one of the great things about tennis is that you just might play better the next time.
I look for opportunities where I can show my gratitude for the game. I have helped teach little kids tennis, I have volunteered to help with a tennis organization, I have captained a USTA tennis team, but I never feel like its enough. I don’t always have the free time I wish I had to do so.
While I was still recovering from my elbow surgery and not playing at all (but hitting against the backboard here and there!), an opportunity came up.
I was asked to be a line judge for the regional high school tennis play-offs. The lady who asked me included a bribe of a shirt. . . little did she know that I’d do it without the offer.
I was assigned to help out at the boy’s playoffs. They were held at our high school’s rival. (The courts are right next to the soccer fields and our teams were playing right after the first day of the tennis play-offs. . . pretty handy!)
I’m not sure I was all that helpful. I was supposed to watch for naughty behavior and be available to be a line judge. I mostly watched some pretty good tennis.
At least I was wearing my nifty new shirt!
No comments:
Post a Comment