Saturday, October 15, 2011

Feels Like the First Time!

After being injured for so long, and trying to heal on my own, resorting to seeking help and ending up with surgery, it felt like a REALLY long time since I had played tennis with another person.  Oh wait, it WAS a really long time.
I was really nervous about playing.  I was afraid that I would re-injure myself (a hobby of late) and didn’t want to go through the agony again.
My physical therapist (and tennis playing buddy) told me that I should start hitting.  My doctor agreed.  So I started out by hitting against the backboard. . . gently.  Standing close, I could barely hit it hard enough to bounce off the wall.  But it didn’t hurt!
Each time I went out, I increased the time I hit and tried to hit with a bit more force.  Scary times!
One day when I was hitting, my hand started hurting.  What the heck!  I had not only developed a blister but it popped!  It didn’t occur to me that I might get one of those!
So I packed up to go and wandered by a nearby court where my physical therapist was. . . and she suggested that I played a little in her place. 
The thought petrified me so I was happy to tell her that I had a blister and couldn’t do it.  She pulled out her handy athletic tape and offered to tape up my hand.
100_6547
I played my first game of tennis in over a year.  It wasn’t pretty but it was a start.

No comments: