Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Empty Nest Vacation – Part 2 of Part 2

Warning – It’s been so long since our vacation, I may not remember things accurately!
Continuing where we left off.  While we did hang a bit in Newport Beach, that was not our main destination in So Cal.  For those of you that know Paul, you won’t be surprised. . .
11 c disney tickets
We bought our tickets the night before and enjoyed the Halloween decorations at the front gate.
11- Disneyland, Halloween style The next day we were off and running. What an adventure we had.
We entered the park with the crowds when we were approached by an employee with a clip board.  We were easy to catch because we didn’t have anxious-to-start-having-too-much-fun children with us.  We were asked a few questions before they targeted Paul.  The employee invited him to take part in a top-secret focus group and he would be PAID!
We like money so we agreed to this sacrifice.  He was told to show up at a certain spot at a certain time, neither of which is top secret but perhaps not easy to explain (the place) nor all that interesting (the time).
We had time to go on a few rides which were fun even without kids.  As the time drew near, we were reluctant to join a line.  Instead we ambled over to the meeting spot and people watched. 
We had thought with our timing, the park just might be fairly empty, but we were WRONG. Unknown to us (they never asked), Utah schools had some time off and each one of those families opted to come to Disneyland.  (We are almost sure of this.) 
In Paul’s focus group, everyone except one person had a Utah connection.  (They were all from there and we had just traveled from there.)
Meanwhile I wandered around trying to figure out how I was going to spend Paul’s windfall!  (That wasn’t really the plan.)  But I did have 90 minutes to myself.  I can no longer remember what I really did.  How sad is that?
Here is the envelope that contained $100 which was handed to Paul at end of the focus group meeting! (How many people can say they got paid to go to Disneyland?)
11 b disney money
Once we were reunited, we went off to enjoy our adventure.  Interesting things we discovered about ourselves. 
  • We had noticeably less energy to cover the park than when we had our children there to add some sort of secret spark. 
  • We didn’t mind sitting for a while.  Often
  • I can lose my cell phone for the second time on the Indiana Jones ride.  (first time was 6 years ago)
  • We limped a lot and took turns adjusting knee braces.
  • All my claims that the Astro-Orbiter make me sick are true.
  • Two days is just right.
  • It’s okay not to take a camera into the park.
  • Old people can have a nice time, even with no children with them.
The second day was much less crowded.  In fact, we came home with unused fast passes!
11a unused fast passes
But wait . . . there’s more to our empty nest adventure.  One can only hope that I am quicker with the update (before I forget where we went and what we did!)

3 comments:

Beth said...

Yes, I had been wondering when part II would arrive, don't make me wait as long for part III!!!

Can't believe you lost your cell phone on the same ride!

Sounds like a blast. Glad you two had such a great time.

garrynkim said...

I keep telling Garry that we'd have a blast at Dland just the two of us!! Sounds like you did.

Valley Girl said...

Looks like a fabulous trip! Who doesn't Love d- land!?!

So glad you have a blog... Now I am going to fallow you... stalker much? LOL