And then I thought about it. Between a lack of confidence and not as much talent as I thought was required, I never pursued the dream.
Now that my kids are gone, with no signs of coming back (and being a model younger version of their current selves), I’ve had too much time to spare. (really, we don’t want them to come back. . .it’s their time to spread their wings.) Combine that with no church calling and an opportunity that presented itself. . .
A couple of my tennis buddies had taken on the coaching duties at the local high school, I considered volunteering, but talked myself out of it. But then a wise friend straightened up my thinking and inspired me to just “do it.”
Next thing I knew, I was out on the courts a lot of days each week hitting balls to girls, shagging balls, imparting my knowledge and occasionally playing, My heart was soaring! There really is life (and joy) when the kids leave the nest.
Did I take any photos? Negative. But then one day the girls wanted to Zumba as part of practice. One of the girls knew all the moves and made it look easy!
They had a ball. It was really fun, when before one away match they decided to strut their stuff by Zumba-ing and completely intimidating the opposing team.
I have yet to Zumba myself, but that was never one of my goals.
No comments:
Post a Comment