Instead of doing anything else, I immersed myself in the scriptures. The course of study was the Old Testament. I was familiar with parts of it, but not all of it.
I began my teaching experience by teaching the words of Isaiah! In order to do that, I had to understand what had been going on in the chapters beforehand. I am lucky enough to live with someone who is well versed in the Old Testament.
I can’t say that I was the best teacher these great kids ever had, but I learned more than I thought possible.
I also learned to manage my time a bit better. I spent my mornings studying, my early evenings asking my hubby questions (so I could understand things I didn’t quite get while I was studying) and went to bed much earlier than I ever had before.
I’ve always heard that teaching early morning seminary is the hardest calling in the church. I have an increased appreciation for those that have taught for years. I wonder if they ever feel like they get enough sleep! But I imagine that they are well versed in the scriptures. How can you help it with the daily, intense scripture study with all the available recourses at your finger tips?
No comments:
Post a Comment